Friday, August 7, 2009

Stitches

Well I guess I should be glad that this was our very first visit to the ER, we have been lucky to have not been before when we have two boys who have no fear of doing anything. Poor little Remy has had a ruff few week as it is. He just got over being really sick with two ear infections and got a really bad goose egg on his right eyebrow at the gym that turned into a killer bruise. On Wednesday Travis had the day off but had to go to work that night, he has been working a lot of graveyard shifts lately. We were just getting the boys ready to lay down for naps when Remy turned to run and slipped on our tile floors and landed chin first. Travis picked him up and carried him to the kitchen sink, he had a mouth full of blood and was screaming. I ran over and tried to calm him down, we were able to get a quick glance at his tongue and it had a huge cut in it. Travis got on the Internet to see what to do for a really bad cut. I got Remy calmed down and the bleeding slowed down a little, I got him to stick his tongue out and I could see that it was cut really deep and had a nice flap. We decided to take him to the ER. I was trying my best to be strong and not fall apart but my worst fear has been to take my boys to the ER in Puerto Rico. I have heard nothing but awful stories about the care some of the kids have had in our neighbor hood and church. I couldn't but help to worry I started to cry on the way to the Hospital and decided to text my family and Travis to say a prayer for us. We took him to San Pablo Hospital because it has the best Pediatric care. When we arrived their was no one waiting in the waiting room, that was a relief, most people have waited hours. The receptionist the helps you register spoke English, another huge blessing, she helped fill out all the forms. We didn't have to wait long until the doctor was able to see us and decided that he would need stitches. I am so grateful that Travis was there with me he is much stronger at these kind of situations. He went back to be with Remy while me and Hudson waited in the waiting room. Hudson is such a nice brother and was very concerned for his brother, he would tell him, good job Remy and tell him that he would be okay. While we sat in the waiting room I couldn't hold it together any longer. I started to cry and told Hudson he needed to go in bathroom. I was trying not to freak him out and make him more worried. He looked up at me and asked what was wrong and I just hugged him and told him that I love him and Remy so much and I don't like when they get hurt. He just let me hold him and then I asked him is he wanted to say a prayer for Remy to be brave and for the doctors to be fast and do a good job. He said a nice simple prayer for his brother and I am so grateful for him and his faith in Heavenly Father and Jesus. I also said a prayer and was able to calm down. We went back out and waited. Remy did really good they did a local anesthetic and had a papoose to hold his arms still , Travis was able to be right there by his head. Remy was more ticked that he was being held down. Travis said the best part was when Remy bit the doctor pretty hard and bit right threw his glove. Remy got five stitches, he had a pretty swollen lip. He has done really good and has been able to eat and sleep pretty good. Last night he had a rough night but it was his second day and that is when the doctor said he would have the hardest time. They gave him an antibiotic and told us to give him Motrin or Tylenol for a few days. The stitches will just dissolve so that will be nice to not have to take him in again. I was finally able to get a few good pictures of his tongue today because he was willing to show it to me I didn't want to pull it out to just get a picture. It still looks pretty mangled and I wonder if it will just look messed up forever. Well I have been humbled with my attitude towards hospitals in in PR. I know our prayers were more than answered and I am so grateful for a loving Heavenly father who cares and watches out for us! I am grateful for a family who would pray for us! Travis said to me that he hope nothing really bad ever happens to our boys because I am so tender hearted that I would have a really hard time. I had to agree with him, I hate when they get hurt really bad! But what mother doesn't!

This is a sad picture, he had fallen asleep in the car on the way home and was pretty sad for a while. See his nice swollen lips.
Same day, swollen lips but he was lots happier.
Poor tongue, I hope it looks more like normal over time.

8 comments:

Frampton Family said...

Oh Jojo! I am so sorry this happened to poor little Remy. I can say that I really know how you felt going to their hospital. I had a hard time in Switzerland, especially since they didn't speak English. It's hard enough having something bad happen being so far away from family. But to add in their different ways of taking care of me over there, I was a wreck. I'm so happy that we have our sweet husbands to keep us together. Love you!

Kateka said...

That is so scary! My cousin mangled her tounge up pretty bad when she was little but, it grew into a normal looking scar, just like you'd get on your arm from a scratch. I am sure he will be fine. I am so glad everything worked out okay.

Emily said...

I can't believe how old your boys are now! How crazy about Remy going to the hospital, but I'm glad that everything is okay and that you got in so quickly. Looks like you guys had a fun summer!

ginger said...

Oh Mr. Remers! I just hate seeing grandkids get hurt. Wish I could be there to help. I know Grandpa Jed & I both thought of times we had to hold Trav down for stitches. Oh, the memories. Hang in there kids...we love ya.

Christal said...

Good thing he is so cute the poor little boy. That looks so painful. Way to bite the dr sounds like something masen would do! Not fun to go to er for anything but especially our kids!!! Hope your doing good ttys

Brittany Crane said...

Jo I hope Remy feels better soon! I guess at least it is his tongue and not his face where it is super visible. I would have cried too if that happened to my Hallie. I hate when they get hurt. Hal fell down the stairs a couple weeks back and I cried because I was sooo scared. My husband laughed at me and said it was good for her. Dang Men!!

Katie said...

Poor Remy! That looks like it hurts!

prRiggs said...

Ouch! That looks like it hurt!